Wednesday, January 10, 2018

THE DEMISE OF THE FAMILY FARM -- Reviews of Darlene D. Schneck's "The Last Generation on the Farm...A Vanished Way Of Life

The  Demise  Of  The  Family  Farm:

An  Illustrative  Example  From  Eastern  Pennsylvania

Darlene Della Schneck, ed. The Last Generation On The Farm:  The Clarence and       Della Geissinger Family and a Vanished Way of Life (Create Space, 2017)  
                                                 160 pages   $21.99    ISBN: 9781548023614

Reviewer:  Forrest Wayne Schultz          Date:  January 10, 2018

     I do not recall ever visiting the farm in this book even though I grew up on a farm only a few miles south of it, and was a member of one of the churches there, the Palm Schwenkfelder Church.  And one of the individuals mentioned, Edwin Fox, was one of my Sunday School teachers at this church;  and the school mentioned, Perkiomen, was founded by the Schwenkfelders and was the one from which my father and his brothers and sisters graduated.  And our barn, like the one in this book, was a bank barn, so I know what that means!  Also, like their house, ours had a maple tree in the yard from a branch of which a swing was attached.  We also had apple trees, but ours were in the cow pasture.   And I know the pies and cakes in the book, but, surprisingly, one of those my mother baked had a different name, “Shoo Fly Pie”, not “Shoo Fly Cake”.  I also know about curing meat hung from hooks inside a wall smoked by a fireplace fire.  And, as a boy my mother sent me to the barn to fetch vinegar from a keg stored there many years ago.  I also knew of the Normal School in Kutztown because both my maternal grandmother and an elderly lady in East Greenville I knew graduated from it.   And, when it later became Kutztown State Teachers College, my brother-in-law Clare Reihman got a B.S. and M.S. in science education there.  In regard to the farm safety mentioned, I know of its importance both from the films I saw at the Advisory Board meetings of the Lehigh Valley Cooperative Farmers, and also from the horrific accident with the manure spreader on the farm of Claude Bieler (directly south of our farm) suffered by his son Richard, who fortunately recovered and who now owns the farm.  I remember him being in the hospital for a while and for a while hobbling around on crutches! 

-1-

         The book mentions the cordial relationship between the Schwenkfelders and the Mennonites which I experienced also, one example of which was the joint Thanksgiving Services which the Palm Schwenkfelder Church had each year with a nearby Mennonite Church (whose name I do not remember).  We alternated years – one year at our church, the next at the Mennonite Church.  I am surprised that this fact was not mentioned in the book.  On the other hand one thing the author mentions that I did not know was that there is a Mennonite Heritage Center in Harleysville, PA.  The only thing I knew about Harleysville when I lived in PA was that the Harleysville baloney was the best brand there was! 

     Our farm (the Scholtop Dairy Farm) was located in Upper Hanover Township, which is at the extreme northern end of Montgomery County.  The people discussed in this book lived in Upper Milford and Hereford Townships slightly north of where Montgomery County ends.  The family farm on which I grew up and the family farm in this book both ended during the 1960s – our farm in 1961 and the farm of this book in 1967.

     Today there is a lot of talk about “traditional American values”.  This book provides some good examples of what that means.  However, when I was growing up, people didn’t use terms like that!!  Also my father highly valued work and praised those who were hard workers, but he never said anything about “the work ethic”!  The most concise way to summarize all this is found in the words of the Mennonite historian Forrest Moyer on the rear jacket, where he says that this book provides “a window into the historic rural culture of southern Lehigh County”, which is true but it needs to be noted that this same culture was also found in Montgomery County as well as the other Pennsylvania Dutch communities generally up until the middle of the twentieth century!!     

      I highly recommend this book for its well-told story about this farm, as I did the author’s earlier book about the adventures of Isaac Schultz.  These reviews plus more about what I have to say about our farm and ancestors and the Upper Perkiomen Valley are on my blog  http://schwenkfelderschultzes.blogspot.com.         


-2-
ADDENDUM:

Home Movies of this family can be viewed on this U Tube email address;



HERE  IS  THE  AMAZON  REVIEW  BY  K.  VESTAL

July 31, 2017
Format: Paperback


No comments:

Post a Comment