Saturday, June 8, 2013

THE FLOW OF INTERESTING THINGS, PART ONE: MY SCHULTZ LINEAGE


THE   FLOW


OF   INTERESTING   THINGS


In  My  Schultz  Lineage  And  In  My  Own  Life


In  The  Upper  Perkiomen  Valley


By  Forrest  Wayne  Schultz




PART   ONE   --   MY   SCHULTZ   LINEAGE 




My   Ancestors


      Like those of many other Americans, my ancestors immigrated to America to escape religious persecution in Europe.  I shall now share with you some things that were different and quite interesting about my ancestors.


      The first interesting thing is ultra-important:  without it I would not have the knowledge needed to write this.  My ancestors were Schwenkfelders, who were and are very interested in history and genealogy.  This concern reached fruition in several projects, the first of which was the establishment of the Schwenkfelder Historical Library and the second was the publication of The Genealogical Record of the Schwenkfelder Families  edited by Samuel Kriebel Brecht and copyrighted  by the Board of Publication of the Schwenkfelder Church (Rand McNally, 1923).


      This Genealogical Record Book also contains much historical information concerning the emigration from Germany and the immigration to Pennsylvania, for instance that the main body of the Schwenkfelders, which included my emigrant ancestors George Schultz and Christopher Schultz, arrived in Philadelphia on September 22, 1734 on the ship Saint Andrew captained by John Stedman of Rotterdam, Holland, and that the following day, September 23, an oath of allegiance was taken to the King of Great Britain, because at that time Pennsylvania was an English colony.





-1-


    

     On the following day, September 24, the Schwenkfelders there did a very unusual thing (which, as far as I know, no other immigrant religious group has done), namely, quoting the words of an eminent 19th century Schwenkfelder, “They spent the 24th in thanksgiving to Almighty God for delivering them out of the hands of their persecutors, for raising up friends in time of their greatest need, and for leading them into a land of freedom, where they might worship Him unmolested by civil or ecclesiastical power.  This day, the 24th of September, was thenceforth set apart to be observed by them and their descendants, through all time, as a day of Thanksgiving commemorative of the Divine goodness manifested in their deliverance from the persecutions of the Fatherland.  To this day it is so observed.” [p. 13 of Genealogical Record]  Therefore they called September 24 “Gedachtnisz-Tag”, which means “Thanksgiving Day”.  Unlike the national holiday of Thanksgiving, which thanks God for a good harvest, the Thanksgiving of the Schwenkfelders thanks God for delivering them from persecution and bringing them safely to Pennsylvania, the land of religious freedom.  And most of the day is devoted to  historical lectures and sermons to remind themselves of the past and its legacy and importance for today.  When I attended several of these celebrations as a teen and a young man I remember how much I learned and how moved I was and how meaningful it was.  Few churches teach their members as much about church history as the Schwenkfelders do!


     The Schwenkfelder Thanksgiving Day meals are also quite different.  These also were very meaningful to me.  When the Schwenkfelders landed in PA they were so poor that all they had to eat at their first Gedachtnisz-Tag was bread and apple butter.  In order to remember this humble beginning in the New World, at each annual celebration since then all there is to eat at the meal is bread and apple butter – now THAT is really a powerful way to remember and a great way to identify with our ancestors!!  This bread-and-apple-butter mean is also interesting for another reason – a humorous one.  Somebody who once heard a garbled account of this meal thought it was referring to the Lord’s Supper (!!) and then began spreading the rumor that the Schwenkfelders used bread and apple butter as their Eucharistic elements!!  That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!


      Another very interesting pertinent matter is that the new ruler, Frederick the Great, who subsequently took over Silesia, the region of Germany from which the Schwenkfelders had escaped, in 1742 issued an edict which not only ended religious persecution in his region but also invited the Schwenkfelders to return and have their estates restored.  None of them did so because by then they were settled in their new land, which they believed held better prospects for t hem than the old. [Genealogical Record, p. 14 and Plate 18]  Now isn’t that interesting!!  Just one of the many interesting things they leave out of the history books!!




-2-







     Several of the emigrants who were in this 1734 group were my ancestors.  I shall restrict my remarks here to the two I mentioned on page 1, which are the most important ones to me -- George Schultz and Christopher Schultz, who were two of the famous three Schultz brothers who emigrated as orphans!  George was 22 and Christopher was 16; the other one Melchoir was 20, and he was interesting because he disappeared and no one knows what happened to him!  George was important to me for it was he who established the farm in the Upper Hanover Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, which was passed down from father-to-son all the way down to my father, who sold it when he retired, and thus, alas, it has now passed out of our family.  The names in this line are George, Abraham, Isaac, Abraham, Levi, and Wayne (my father).  [See the Genealogical Record book pages 940, 946, 949, 954.]  This my father told me when I was a boy.  Thus, George is my great-great-great-great grandfather.  This means, of course, that Christopher is therefore my great-great-great-great-great uncle, and that is all I thought he was until the Library entered the genealogical info in the Record book into a computer program which can be used to trace your entire family tree.  When this was done I then discovered that I am directly descended from Christopher Schultz by two different paths, which means that he is not only my great-great-great-great-great uncle, he is also my great-great-great-great grandfather (TWICE!).


     This discovery is important to me for my self-concept because I think I may have inherited my writing ability from Christopher.  Christopher kept a diary recording what happened in the escape from Germany plus the intervening events finally culminating in the journey in the ship to PA and the disembarkation.  He then wrote up this information in an article which was published in a prominent Pennsylvania magazine -- quite an accomplishment for a 16 year old boy!  It is especially remarkable in that it reads like it was written by a mature man, not a boy.  This article is printed in the Genealogical Record book.  Christopher later on became known for other written works when he became a prominent Schwenkfelder pastor.


     There also was a good writer in the lineage from George Schultz, namely his grandson Isaac, who served as Secretary of the Society of Schwenkfelders (as they then called themselves) and who wrote the chapter on the Schwenkfelders in the book HE  PASA  EKKLESIA  --  An Original History of the Religious Denominations at present existing in the United States, edited by I. Daniel Rupp and published in Philadelphia in 1844 & 1859.  (See page 946 of the Genealogical Record book.)


     Returning now to George Schultz, he built a log cabin, which was superseded in 1810 by the house built by his son Abraham, who also in that same year built the first half of the barn, both of which still stand.  (Later in the 19th century an addition was built which resulted in a barn 99 feet long, a length purposely chosen to avoid having to pay the newly enacted tax by Pennsylvania on all barns 100 feet or longer.)  The house was built with very thick strong stone walls, which made for very wide window sills which my mother loved to fill with plants.



-3-



  My  Paternal  Aunts  &  Uncles


     My father and his brothers and sisters were strongly influenced by the Schwenkfelder ethos.  Like the Anabaptists (Amish, Mennonites, Brethren), with whom they are sometimes confused, the Schwenkfelders embodied in their lives the virtues of hard work, frugality, honesty, humility, and community.  But, unlike the Anabaptists, the Schwenkfelders were strong believers in education.  In 1892 the Schwenkfelders established their own school, the Perkiomen School located on the same street in Pennsburg as the Schwenkfelder Library.  My father and every one of his seven brothers and sisters graduated from this school.  This was a remarkable achievement because at that time very few children attended, let alone graduated, from high school!  Then half of them (four out of eight) went on to attend and graduate from college (my Aunt Daisy and my Uncles Eugene, Alfred, and Lloyd), and two of them (Eugene and Alfred) then proceeded to earn their Ph.D. degrees in science.  My Aunt Daisy married a research chemist, Dr. Earle Martin, who became notable for a cure he developed for a cow disease called mastitis.  Their son Paul earned a doctorate in science and became an ecologist and paleontologist.


     There was an interesting contrast between Alfred and Eugene concerning their attitudes toward matters outside of science.  Alfred devoted his entire life to his scientific research; he took no interest in anything else.  His most notable achievement was the development of the vitamin enriching process employed in the baking of white bread, whereby some of the vitamins destroyed in the milling of the white flour are returned via the yeast used in the baking.  I never saw him when I was growing up because he lived in New York State near the Fleischmann Yeast Labs where he worked.  But when he retired he moved back to PA into a convalescent home near Allentown, where, coincidentally, my mother was then working as a nurse.  One weekend when I was home from Philly, I went to visit him.  I could talk to him about chemistry, but nothing else, because that was all he cared about.


     My Uncle Eugene was very different because he was interested in many things and was a good conversationalist in all of them.  (He was also friendly, had a good sense of humor, and cared a lot about people.  He was my favorite uncle.)  He became my example in this regard:  I decided then that I too would not restrict my concern to science but would continue to be interested in many subjects.  Another interesting things about Eugene was how he solved the dilemma he faced by wanting to be a scientist and also wishing to continue his involvement in farming.  He resolved this by becoming an agricultural scientist.  He worked for the U. S. Department of Agriculture, doing his field work with the Maine Potato Company with the purpose of improving crop yields and developing varieties resistant to disease.  He spent his summers in Maine and his winters in Washington, DC.  On his journeys to and fro he would stop at the farm for several weeks to help us with the Spring planting and the Fall harvest.  I always looked forward to these times because of the enjoyable conversations I had with him.




-4-


     Uncle Eugene's wife, Selina Gerhard Schultz, was a prominent Schwenkfelder.  She served for many years as the Editor of the Corpus Schwenkfeldianum Project, an  enormous task which involved collecting and publishing all of Schwenkfeld's prolific writings.  It eventually came to nineteen volumes and was completed in 1961.  All of these writings are in German and Latin, and, unfortunately, only a very few of them have been translated into English.  Selina also wrote a book on Schwenkfeld's life and teachings, which she later abridged into a Course of Study.


     I never knew my Aunt Carrie because she died of a goiter before I was born.  My father told me this when I was a boy and it made a very profound effect upon me as well as upon my mother.  When one day she noticed a swelling in the neck of my sister Sharon, she immediately rushed her to the doctor, because she remembered what had happened to Carrie.  I told my wife about Aunt Carrie and sternly warned her that if ever she noticed a neck swelling on any of our children to take them to the doctor immediately.  I guess you could say of my Aunt Carrie, that she "being dead, yet speaketh"!!


     OK, that's enough serious stuff for a while.  Let us turn now to my Aunt Geneva for some humor.  My Aunt Geneva was most impressive for her loquacity.  Well, now, back in those days the City of Geneva in Switzerland was often the host city for international meetings.  One day when one such gathering was taking place, the newspaper reported it using the headline -- "Geneva Talks".  We had a lot of fun with that.  Someone said, "Hey, look here:  Aunt Geneva is in the news -- it says here in the newspaper "Geneva Talks".  Then someone else retorted, "Humph!  That's not news!  Everyone knows that Geneva talks!"


     Perhaps the most interesting of all my aunts and uncles was my Uncle Norman.  He married a very intelligent woman and carefully listened to her astute remarks, so he could repeat them to others at our family gatherings.


     My Uncle Lloyd was the youngest one of the eight and the last one to die (in 1994).  When I spoke with my sister Sharon about that, she said to me, "You know what??  We are now the oldest generation; scary, isn't it??!!"  My Uncle Lloyd was a stockbroker, which came in handy.  He advised my father on which stocks to buy, and when my father retired and sold the farm he put the proceeds into stocks, which made it easy for his estate to be settled.  Every year in the Fall my Uncle Lloyd came to the farm to go "small game" hunting with my father.  In PA small game hunting is pheasants and rabbits.  After I was old enough I was permitted to accompany them but did not do much shooting.  Walking the fields and woods was what we most enjoyed about it.  Uncle Lloyd one year expressed his appreciation to my father for these hunting experiences by giving him a fine taxidermal gift:  a beautiful stuffed pheasant mounted on a base with a plaque on which was inscribed:  “To Brother Wayne, A Good Sport”.




-5-



     What I have written above is the final draft of what I wrote as a rough draft in the late 1990s.  This month I discovered some very interesting things I had hitherto been unaware of.  I learned of these matters from reading a fascinating newly published book, Darlene Della Schneck’s Letters From a Montana Sheep Man, about my grandmother Elizabeth’s brother Isaac S. Schultz.  Isaac achieved his first goal in life of getting a lot of higher education, but then he failed at his second goal – to get rich out West.  In his consequent embarrassment, after 1887 he ceased writing letters to his relatives back East, which led them to wonder what had happened to him.  The mystery was not solved until 1931, after which communication was restored.  That in itself is plenty interesting, but in addition to that what makes it especially interesting to me is that my favorite uncle, Eugene, was instrumental in restoring the communication and that my favorite cousin, Paul, was the one primarily responsible for preserving the letters, making photocopies of them, and depositing the originals in a museum in Montana!!  What really “takes the cake” here is that Isaac had four sisters of which Elizabeth was his favorite; and then Elizabeth returns the compliment by producing a son and a grandson which help Isaac in the ways noted!!  It would take a super-brilliant novelist to come up with a plot like that.  And what makes the thing doubly mystifying is why I was not told about this when I was a boy.  After reading the abovementioned book I tried to remember if I had been told and it jogged my memory a bit to where I think, but am not sure, that I may have been told that we had a relative missing for a while – but I know for sure I was not told these vivid details I recounted above.  My sister Sharon only remembers Daddy telling her that his mother was worried about a missing brother.  This is indeed ultra-strange – when someone like his own brother, Eugene, was involved, and his nephew Paul, both of whom he highly regarded!!  Plus he revered his mother and father.


     I highly recommend reading this book.  I have done a lot of book reviews, but this is the first one in which people I knew were involved in the story.  The book is also helpful in that it contains (on pp. 126 – 127) an excellent photograph taken a century ago of my grandfather Levi, my grandmother Elizabeth and all their eight children – my father and his three sisters and four brothers.  This book is also what prompted me to finally go to my filing cabinet and get out my rough draft of all the interesting things I was collecting about my ancestors and family and life in the Upper Perkiomen Valley and put it into final form.  In the email correspondence which developed between Darlene and me, she suggested I create a blog for this purpose, which I have done.  I call it “Schwenkfelder Schultzes”, http://schwenkfelderschultzes.blogspot.com/ which is where I am depositing these memoirs in this Flow Of Interesting Things in My Schultz Lineage And In My Own Life In The Upper Perkiomen Valley.  Also found on this site is the review I wrote of Darlene’s book plus other review of it I have found.  Any comments anyone has on what I am writing in this “Flow” can be sent to me at schultz_forrest@yahoo.com





-6-




 


My  Father


     My father enjoyed farming.  To him it wasn’t a job; it was a vocation.  And he endeavored to be the best farmer he could.  He specialized in dairy farming, and he had purebred Holstein cows.  He was a charter member of the Dairy Herd Improvement Association, based in Brattleboro, Vermont.  For a long time he owned one of the best bulls in the country, which he bought as a calf, and eventually his entire herd was sired by that bull.  His name was Scholtop Moncade Cornflower; his nickname was “Monty”.  Purebred cattle have three names.  The first is the name of the farm.  The second name is what corresponds in humans to our last name.  And the third name is what corresponds in humans to our first name.  One of these cows sired by Monty was my favorite:  Scholtop Moncade Fern.  In a cattle show in which my father entered her she was the Grand Champion for the State of Pennsylvania.  She was not only beautiful and an excellent milk producer, but she was also very friendly, and was one of the very few of our cows who would allows us to ride on her back when we were children.


     Later on, when artificial insemination was introduced into dairying and bull barns with the best bulls were established to be the sources of the semen, my father donated (yes!  donated!) Monty to the bull barn established by the Lehigh Valley Co-operative Farmers, of which he was a member, serving on its Advisory Board.  He liked to tell us about a humorous remark he made at the meeting of the farmers which was held to explain artificial insemination.  When the speaker asked if any of the farmers had an objections to it, my father got up and proclaimed:  “It’s not fair to the bull!!”. 


     My father not only intimately knew and cared about his cattle, he also knew and cared about his fields and pastures and woodlands.  Most of the crops he grew – wheat, barley, oats, corn, and hay – he fed to the cows.  The rest he sold.  He kept up with the advances in farming and was usually the first farmer around there to adopt them, e.g. an improved strain of wheat.  One year he entered his wheat into a contest and won first prize for the State of Pennsylvania.


    He also was the first farmer in the area to buy one of the new style hay balers.  The old style balers were disgusting:  they were ugly, bulky, and unwieldy, lumbering around the field like the movie version of dinosaurs. The new greatly improved model baler was compact, sleek, and graceful and did not block your view of the wagon behind it.  But it was so small in comparison with the old style balers that it looked like a toy!  The farmers who came over to watch us use it for the first time kidded my father, saying, “That little thing can’t bale hay!!”  But we proved them wrong!  I was driving the tractor and my father was loading the bales onto the wagon and the other farmers and the dealer were walking alongside watching the baler’s performance.  At first I drove very slowly to be sure everything was working properly.  Then the dealer wanted to impress them so he told me to speed up, which I did to the max and then the farmers had to run alongside to keep up.  The new baler performed quite well and we were pleased with it.  It was a New Holland baler, which was made in the Pennsylvania city called New Holland.  Wentz was the name of the dealer from whom we bought it, about which I made up the following joke:  whenever we have any trouble with our baler from Wentz cometh our help! 


-7-

     I enjoyed helping my father with the farm work, and I especially liked getting outside in the fresh air and getting a good suntan.  I also respected and adopted for myself my father’s values, which, in addition to the Schwenkfelder values noted above, also included a love of nature.   Later on, in the 1960s, when I began reading about ecology, I was amazed at how many of its principles I had already learned as a boy from my father.  He never used technical terms like “ecology” or “environment” but he cared about nature and knew how it worked.


     My father’s farm at that time required the labor of two people in the summer, and one person during the rest of the year.  The extra person for the summer was first, my cousin Paul (son of my Aunt Daisy), then agricultural students from Penn State, and then finally myself, when I was old enough.  At the end of each of those summers of farm work, I would have a good suntan and would be in such good physical condition that I could outperform the football players, which was not easy to do because at that time our high school had an excellent athletic coach, much better than is usually the case with a little high school in the boondocks.


     One of my most memorable experiences of those days was the sale of our cows.  Since I decided to go to college instead of taking over the farm, my father decided to sell the herd at the end of the summer in between my graduation from high school and my matriculation near the end of September at Drexel in Philadelphia.  Thenceforth he would only do crop farming, which he could do by himself.  Prior to the auction we had to train the cows to be led so they could be led into and posed in a roped-off area that looked like a boxing ring. 


      The experience of training these cows to be led was one of the most interesting experiences I have ever had.  It really brought out the various “personalities” of our cows.  They reacted to the experience in a manner quite similar to that of a group of children being taught something new.  Some of the cows were excited and learned quickly and seemed to be proud of having mastered this new thing – being led around!  Others were afraid at first and required a lot of coaxing until they overcame their fears.  Still others purposely gave us a hard time and seemed to enjoy our frustration with them!  I had always known that cows were a lot like people and had different “personalities” but this experience of training them to be led really demonstrated these differences in a dramatic way!


      I have forgotten the name of our County Agent, for whom my father had great respect.  He helped him in the planning of the cattle auction.  For instance, he had nice looking signs posted on the roads saying in large easily readable letters  “ HOLSTEIN   AUCTION”  to direct people to our farm.  My Uncle Lloyd helped by directing traffic to a special parking place we created in a nearby field.  And my sisters Sharon and Janet and some other members of the local 4H Club ran a refreshment stand.  I pasted a number on each cow in the chronological order in which they were to be auctioned off, and led them one by one from the barn down to the location where the auction was being held.  It went very well.  We also had the milking machine and associated equipment auctioned off.  It was a very emotional time for my father – he could hardly keep from crying!


-8-


  The last interesting thing about my father I shall note here is that he had a premonition of his decease.  To put this into context I need to remind the reader of his great respect for science. He also utterly repudiated the Pennsylvania Dutch superstitions, and he was a very practical down-to-Earth man who did not go in for any kind of weird or nonsensical stuff.  There are two pieces of evidence indicating my father knew he was about to die, which he could NOT have deduced from his health because he was in very good shape – and he died by being hit while crossing the road, not from a disease. 


     The first of these I learned from my sister Sharon.  She told me that in his last visit to her, a few days before he died, he spoke to her as though he was never going to see her again.  And, indeed he never did see her again!  Sharon told me how eerie this was.  He did not explicitly tell her he would never see her again.  He spoke to her as though this would be the last time he would speak to her.  And indeed it was!


     The second piece of evidence is what his sister, my Aunt Daisy, told me.  She said that every Christmas he sent her a Christmas card and on every single one, except for the very last one, the only thing he wrote on it was “Brother Wayne”.  But on the very last card he sent her, which, by the way, he dropped into a mailbox right before crossing the street where he was hit, he added to the card a lengthy letter full of reminiscences, just as though this was his swan song to her, as, indeed, it was!!

  

      I shall now conclude with some mundane data, which does have an interesting feature in that it shows how old my father was when he got married, 45 years of age, and how old he was when I was born, 46.  He was born on August 18, 1893, was, married in June 1938, and I, his first child, was born on August 19, 1939.  I have two sisters:  Sharon born in 1942 and Janet born in 1944.  My father died at 80 years of age in December 1973.  As you can see from these data, my father is old enough to be my grandfather.  Another interesting thing is that since George was an orphan (only 22) normally his father would have been living and middle aged so that he would have been counted as the first generation, and George as the second generation.   As matters stand I am the seventh generation to be here in America, but in normal circumstances I actually would be the ninth generation.  I do not know if that means much or not, but there it is.


     Well, anyway, this concludes my account of my Schultz ancestors, my paternal aunts and uncles, and my father.  The remainder of this FLOW is of the interesting things which I did and which happened to me while living in the Upper Perkiomen Valley plus a little bit of information about the Upper Perkiomen Valley itself – the farms near ours, the towns, and the schools.

June 2013

-9-

    

    

     



No comments:

Post a Comment